Please go to the Derby City Council interactive map to see the catchment area: Admissions Catchment Map
Policies and Admission Arrangements (Over-Subscription Criteria)
Please read the following admissions arrangements for previous and the next academic years, which details all the information you will need about applying for a school place and our admissions criteria, as well as, our Admissions Policy for details of our internal procedures.
Consultation to vary published Determined Admissions Arrangements for 2023-24
Proposed Admissions Arrangements for 2024-25
Determined Admission Arrangements 2023 2024 – variation request made to the Department of Education (see consultation above)
Determined Admission Arrangements 2022 2023
Derby City Council process our admissions arrangements for:
- Reception admissions for September starters
Chellaston Infant School will be processing all:
- In-year admissions applications to Reception, Year 1 and Year 2
EMET Academy will be carrying out:
Chellaston Infant School operates a single admission and all children will be encouraged to start school in the September of each academic year.
Applying to Full Time School (Reception year)
This process is called first admissions and is dealt with directly by the local authority. You will receive a letter directly to your home address in the November of the school year prior to the next academic year when your child will become five. Find out more about when and how to apply.
Once you have accepted the place then school will contact you with some transition arrangements.
Chellaston Infant School currently has a Pupil Admission Number of 120 in our reception class each year. Class sizes must not exceed 30. We are consulting to reduce this to 90 from September 2023 through a variation request to The Secretary of State. The consultation information can be viewed here.
Our Full Admissions Policy is in line with Derby City Council Admissions Policy, details of which can be found here
Please read the Primary Admissions Handbook before making an application, more information about applying for a Reception place for our September start date is available from:
Primary School Admissions – Derby City Council
Post: Derby City Council
School Admissions Team
The Council House
Tel: 01332 956988
Minicom: 01332 640666
Moving schools during term time
You may be wish to move your child to our school within a school year. This is possible, subject to available places. You must apply directly to the school using the admission form below. You will be informed with 10 working days of the outcome of your application.
If you are offered a space for your child then a start date is set and a transition process begins.
If you would like to visit our school, please contact the office to arrange an appointment.
For support with in-year applications please contact Miss Chloe Frearson via email@example.com
School Admissions – Appeals
If your request for a school place is refused, this is usually because school has received more applications than there were places available and other children more fully met the admission criteria.
Over Subscription Criteria
If the school is oversubscribed, after the admission of pupils with a Statement of Special Educational Need, or an Education Health and Care Plan (EHC) where the school is named in the Statement or EHCP, priority for admission will be given to those children who meet the criteria set out below, in order:
- Looked after children* and all previously looked after children, including those children who appear (to the admission authority) to have been in state care outside of England and ceased to be in state care as a result of being adopted.
- Children who are both living in the catchment area served by the school and have brothers or sisters* of compulsory school age still attending the school at the time of their admission.
- Children whose parents are living in the school catchment area at the school admissions closing date. The admissions authority, Derby City Council will also reassess applications on the National Offer Date.
- Children who do not live in the catchment area served by the school but who have brothers or sisters* of compulsory school age attending the school at the time of their admission.
- Children whose parents did not request a place by 15th January 2022.
The ‘sibling link’ will not apply where the place of the sibling at the school in question was obtained by fraudulent means.
- In all relevant cases we will follow Derby City council’s published policy and definition with regards to ‘an unplaced child’.
- When choices have to be made between children satisfying the same criteria, children living nearest to the school measured ‘as the crow flies*’.
*definitions can be found in our Admissions Policy
Our Full Admissions Policy is in line with Derby City Council Admissions Policy, details of which can be found at… https://www.derby.gov.uk/educaion-and-learning/schools-and-colleges/school-admissions/admission-arrangments-policies/
The Appeals Timetable can be accessed here: Timeline
Please see the documents further on for Governor approved Determined Arrangements (Over-Subscription Criteria) for future academic years.
How to appeal
We are now processing appeals as an academy and advise you to complete our appeals form and email the completed document to schools Admissions Officer, Miss Frearson firstname.lastname@example.org
Please select the link below to download the form:
If you are appealing for a school in-year, the deadline for returning appeal forms will be at least 20 school days from the date of the decision letter.
Please complete and return the below form, to Miss Frearson email@example.com, if your child will be leaving our school, ensuring as much detail has been included:
School Privacy Notice
The purpose of a Privacy Notice is to explain how you and your family’s personal information may be used. It details why we collect information and who we may share it with. Please click on the link below to find a copy of our Privacy Notice.