Please go to the Derby City Council interactive map to see the catchment area: Admissions Catchment Map
The Local Authority are responsible for coordinating all applications from parents for school places in our catchment area. If you want to apply for an infant place in Derby, you need to make an application to Derby City Council.
We have a maximum intake of 120 pupils annually in September.
Our Full Admissions Policy is in line with Derby City Council Admissions Policy, details of which can be found here
If you wish to enquire about an ‘in year’ place at Chellaston Infants, please contact the Local Authority Admission department who will advise you how to apply for any places that may be available.
Please read the Primary Admissions Handbook before making an application, a downloadable version is available from Derby City Council Primary Admissions Team.
Post: Derby City Council
School Admissions Team
The Council House
Tel: 01332 642727
Minicom: 01332 640666
School Admissions – Appeals
If your request for a school place is refused, this is usually because school has received more applications than there were places available and other children more fully met the admission criteria.
Derby City Council Admissions Team can give you information on other schools that may have places available.
You can also appeal the decision, however please check that your child met all of the admission criteria before making an appeal. You can appeal for more than one school at the same time.
Over-Subscription Criteria 2020-2021
- Children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs or Health and Care Plan where the school is named in the statement.
- Children who are “looked after” by the local authority or who were previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, residence, or special guardianship order.
- Children who live within the current catchment area served by the school with brothers or sisters attending the school at the proposed time of their admission.
- Children who live in the current catchment area of the school.
- Brothers or sisters of children still attending the school at the time of their admission, but not living within the school’s catchment area.
- Children who are not living within the school’s catchment area.
- Children whose parents did not request a place by the date set.
Tiebreaker for applications of equal strength: shortest available route from school measured by a straight line using the Council’s measuring system.
Note: A brother or sister is classed as having one or both natural parents in common, are related by parent’s marriage or are adopted or fostered. A brother or sister must be living at the same address.
The Appeals Timetable can be accessed here and a timeline by clicking section 3.
Please see the documents further on for Governor approved Determined Arrangements (Over-Subscription Criteria) for future academic years.
How to appeal
We are now processing appeals as an academy and advise you to complete our appeals form and email the completed document to schools Admissions Officer, Miss Frearson firstname.lastname@example.org
Please select the link below to download the form:
If you are appealing for a school in-year, the deadline for returning appeal forms will be at least 20 school days from the date of the decision letter.
Policies and Admission Arrangements (Over-Subscription Criteria):
Please read the following admissions arrangements for previous and the next academic years, which details all the information you will need about applying for a school place and our admissions criteria, as well as, our Admissions Policy for details of our internal procedures.
Please complete and return the below form, to Miss Frearson (email@example.com), if your child will be leaving our school, ensuring as much detail has been included: